Pages

9/12/2007

Bighead on TV

I have appeared on TV exactly…em…(scratches head)…em… once in my life. It was back in primary school; I think primary 5.

TV station: boring Delta TV.

Occasion: My school’s speech and prize-giving day.

Guess who was getting a prize… yes, it was me. I used to be a brilliant boy those days, you know.

At least 10 years had passed and no more TV appearances for me and a couple of weeks ago I would have gotten another.

TV Station: Can’t be sure but probably something government-owned like LTV

Occasion: Environmental Sanitation

Guess whose environment was dirty…

Here’s the full story:

I decided to spend that weekend at another aunt’s house instead of my regular uncle’s house. That morning she woke me and my cousin, her son up that it was environmental sanitation and we should go and keep their environment clean. We grumbled but obeyed. Like 30 minutes into the exercise, there was a little chaos. The mallams who had been conducting their usual mallam business (whatever that is) suddenly got up and doing, closed their shops and started cleaning.

The boys playing on the street hid their balls and disappeared into their homes to watch from the safety of their windows.

All pedestrian traffic vanished.

I have always been quite slow to react at times and my cousin is worse so we just hung around and paused our cleaning to watch.

It turned out the commissioner for environment or something like that was in the vicinity with a long procession of sycophants and government workers plus a few cameras. We thought they were just passing through but the drama was just starting.

The next thing we heard was, “Number 4, Obasanjo Street (Not the actual street name, of course), your environment is dirty”.

Wait a minute, the street name sounded familiar; I asked my cousin and he confirmed that what I just heard was our address. The procession stopped and the next thing I’m seeing all sorts of colourful uniforms jumping out of vehicles. It was like a carnival. There were like 3 shades of green, 2 shades of pink, black (Of course, we all know who that is... our dearest olopa), brown and purple (if you count trousers) and white. The vehicle with the mega phone kept repeating the same “Number 4, Obasanjo street, your environment is dirty” statement and added a few more. The uniforms started harassing the occupants of our compound (There are 6 flats there). They asked everyone including my elderly aunt to come down and clean gutters, promised to “seal the compound” and “arrest us all”. We were informed that we had “broken the law”. A crowd gathered. A shouting game started. That evolved into a blame game and ended as an who-go-do-pass-who game. Me, I just stood by, watching, laughing… and, with the corner of my eye, ensuring none of the cameras came around. Being a big head, if any did, some part of my head would be caught. And we won’t want that, would we? The next time this big head is going to appear on TV, it’ll be for my take-over of some big corporation (MTN, my eyes are on you). Jokes apart though, the whole episode raised some pertinent questions that I’m still hoping to get CONVINCING answers to:

*Is it appropriate for civil servants to have political affiliation? Because all the local government officials present that morning wore action congress t-shirts. Abi isn’t that enough proof of affiliation?

*The uniforms and co that were harassing us that day, didn’t they have their own environment to clean?

*What does the law say about environmental sanitation exactly? Do they have the right to arrest people and seal up compounds?

*Does it make economic sense to ask people whose time is worth a whole lot more to come out and clean gutters on the roads?

*Did the said commissioner and his cohorts visit highbrow areas like Lekki, VGC and Ikoyi and ask the “big men” there to come out and clean as well?

*What exactly constitutes your “environment”? Cos we were being harassed over a major gutter beside a government-maintained (coughs)…er… unmaintained road?

A whole lot of other questions popped up that day between myself, my cousin and the rest of his crib unfortunately I can’t remember most. What I kept on saying that day was that a lot of what we were blamed for was the responsibility of the “blamers” and we have taken rights as privileges for so long that no one’s really sure which is which anymore. This is not to say that we can’t act in the event that the government fails but not to the extent that they threaten to arrest us (and almost get bighead a second TV appearance) for not doing their job.

24 comments:

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

Hahahahahahahaha! Bighead, another funny post! LOL...Na wah o! So they actually go around harassing people...LOL... You were lucky not be be shown on LTV! LOL!

Ejura said...

How I wish they captured you a little. Not only would you be a star but you may even get the opportunity to ask some of these questions or all of them.
You had your chance at fame and you blew it! LOL
We do give sanitation a new meaning, don't we?

onydchic said...

Dont stress. I've only been on tv once. A couple of months ago when me ad a friend were approachd by Silverbird to pronounce ali baba's real name. I failed. And probably looked silly too.

Manda said...

Lmao! neva seen them in my area but heard they harrass pple. would hvae loved seeing ur big head on tv cleaning lagos gutter.hahhahahaahaaaa. Sorri but i cant sstop laughing.lol

Joy Akut said...

u're blowing ur chance of becoming a national hero man...u should have haunted the camera crew down and forced em' to interview u, so u can rant about the poor state of the environment n the VGC bit or maybe a georgeous hot chic would ve seen ur big head and fallen in love with u and looked fdor u and u'd live happily ever after...that was fate calling you and u blew it...

AMAZONIA said...

FUNNY POST.. THE TITLE OF YOUR BLOG IS QUITE EYE CATCHING

Ms. Catwalq said...

Catwalq International Academie III is here!!!!!

Joy Isi Bewaji said...

eh! so you won an award in primary school? no wonder your head is big... na too much brain dey inside. lol!!!

Atutupoyoyo said...

What does the law say about environmental sanitation exactly? Do they have the right to arrest people and seal up compounds?

Yup. Tunde Idiagbon granted this power in the mid 1980s.

E for good to see you on top TV sha.

bighead said...

@nyemoni: talk about lucky. anyway, no one that knows me watches LTV

@ejura: don't worry, I'll get another opportunity soon. and i'll be wearing my pierre cardin suit not the clothes i slept in and my cousin's slippers which have been long due for changing(Ekene sorry, but you said it yourself)

@onydchic: I'll soon be leaving the once-on-tv club so you'd better step up soon too.

@manda: do you stay in VGC?

@fantasy queen: I'm not that desperate. very soon, the cameras will be hunting me down and I'll be running.

@catwalq: ???

@isi: my head is full of plenty brain o!

@atutu: the last time I checked, Tunde Idiagbon was late and if I remember correctly, it was a military government. Is there any civilian and valid law that states this?

princesa said...

Saturday Sanitation post!
Lmao! Big head.They probably wanted to use una shine for TV.
BTW, is your compound really that dirty??? You guys have to step up your hygiene attitude o!

Added you to my Blog fam.

Porter deHarqourt said...

yes o! u would have been caught and paraded to newsmen. dem for give u a pile of rubbish to hold near the gutter, come tell u to pose like say u been wan dump am inside.

you would have been made a poster boy for filth, and your dream of becoming a councillor in your ward would have been over.

bighead said...

@princesa:
1. I have always been a very clean person (stifles a snicker)

2. It wasn't my house. (Ekene sorry gat to deny you on this one). I live on Warri and even in Lagos, I stay with a different uncle.

3. point 2 established, the compound was quite clean. These my relatives are particularly neat; we were harrassed over a gutter which even though it bordered their compound, also bordered a road. Whose responsibility is the gutter? me, I wasn't going to go near that particular gutter (I cleaned other gutters, by the way) because its a refuse dump at day and a toilet at nite.

bighead said...

@porter deharqourt: I'm no deluded pretender to any non-existent throne or existent but unnoticed councillorship. I lay claim to the chairmanship of MTN instead. They would still sell even after seeing me on TV won't they???

Moreover, I heard I look so good, I would make a pile of rubbish look edible. Its just a rumour but I like to believe it.

bumight said...

hey, just saw ur comment, like ur blog!

Stuck in my throat said...

who give you mouth to complain?the ass whooping would have been too good to miss...you and your cousin for get am.

Carlang said...

So that;s what happens when you ignore enviromental directives...
it;s a good thing i dont have a gutter..


oh wait...
that;s bad!!

Lol. Pity you didnt make the TV station. With the growing family on blogsville a bit of advertisment would have made us all so so so proud.

You brilliant?
Wouldnt have guessed it!!
lol.

bighead said...

@stuck in my throat: all I would have had to do was tell them my name and the commissioner and his gang would join hands in the cleaning.

@carlang: let me guess, your house is built on the gutter. Abi that's why you can't see it immediately. Sorry o! cos in your case, they'll have to take the whole house down not just seal it.

Afrobabe said...

Hehehehheh been trying to read this blog since last week but each time i open it my MD walks past...dead funny,Wouldn't like to appear on tv on those terms either...I hope my tv experience will be "Where do you shop"

Not in a negative light I hope? lol

Jaja said...

LOL........
That thing for low your rep bad...
I dey tell you.

I was under the impression that public infracstucture, roads etc were the responsiblity of the government, who afterall have tax payers money.

princesa said...

Are we still talking of cleaning gutters??

Abeg give us gist Mr big head!

bighead said...

@afrobabe: make dem no sack you because of me o! my hand no dey that one.

@jaja: i was under that impression myself o! but since they are so irresponsible, we help out from time to time.

@princesa: I'm truly flattered that you don't mind reading my nonsense. I've posted new stuff.

Flourishing Florida said...

I've never been on TV. Not even by mistake. I feel so jealous

bighead said...

Don't feel jealous yet; we all get our five minutes of fame sometime. What'll yu do with yours???