Pages

11/26/2007

My weekend was better than yours

I hadn’t left finally and got all this wailing. Yeah? Like Fantasy Queen guessed, I was kinda enjoying it. Yes, I know I didn’t reply any comments to indicate that I was still around but that was because I was swamped with work. Here, they want to squeeze out all the juice from me, eat the insides before feeding the back to goats so I can come out as shit. And, handing over isn’t fun especially when I have to explain 4 months of arduous mental work to someone else. Phew!!! Perhaps I should hand over my blog as well cos it constituted a major part of my job profile ;). On the other hand the whole observation of the wailing from a vantage viewpoint makes me to wonder if God will let me observe my funeral from heaven. Enough now with the wailing…

…Enough???

My exit from the company has generated quite some activity. We spent last weekend at Hermitage Ranch Resort, Akodo (OK, its not “ranch” but it’s the closest thing to Obudu I have ever stayed at). A whole weekend of fun, sand, good food and more sand imagine…and all because of me? Well, not quite…but it coincided with my exit so I like to see it as a send-forth of sorts. This post is about the weekend.

We arrived at the resort on Friday after “travelling” for over an hour. I didn’t really notice the distance tho’ cos I was busy getting the office version of a school mum and trying to chat up the COO’s PA.

Shortly after we arrived, we had one long session like this where the company vision, structure etc was explained to us. Everybody got to see where they stood in the company. My name was there too…at the bottom of technology hierarchy where it belonged; but I wasn’t expecting anything else. The folks I pity are the ones who got some unpleasant surprises. We also had some indoor games and a couple of outdoor games.

Outdoor games didn’t favour some people especially when the first game was a sack race. Oh my!!! All the olemputus had to fit into the sack and run on the tiring beach sand. Even me and my bighead was panting so hard afterwards that I must’ve used up half the oxygen on the beach.

The next day we did some early morning exercises…and yet again that didn’t favour many people too. But we survived.

Then we had looooong sessions for most of the day before we were let go to chill out and have a breather before the night’s BBQ party. That’s the one that seemed to favour quite a number of people.

On Sunday we packed our stuff and left and Monday, its back to work.

At the retreat, we were promised 80% fun and 20% work. We got that and 100% slide presentations. No offense intended but all these people talking stuff that cannot be easily classified into correct or incorrect weary me.

Highlights of the retreat…I splashed around in the pool, drank 20 litres of chlorinated water (at least), and learnt to swim…Yes I did!!! I can swim. So I can now go for that Total Oil interview or Olympics 2008… Who knows?

I got to meet a lot of people too; company staff who barely knew my name, a couple of MTN staff who were on a retreat as well and a certain TV producer of one show I am positive yu have heard of (for reasons best unknown to me, I don’t want to be specific about the name of the show).

Now the food…

Yes THE FOOD

I pity the folks who got used to it; their wives and/or pockets go hear am this week. We ate like mad. The meals were buffets and better than anything Mama Ekene ever sold. I learnt valuable lessons like

S*** due to good food smells worst.

Don’t select everything in a buffet.

Don’t judge the capacity of a man’s stomach by its size; the pot-bellied ones eat less.

In addition to all that, I played volleyball, attempted football, fantasized about surfing, listened to a moving speech by our MD; I could have sold my father’s house and given it to the company during the speech. Luckily, I wasn’t with the necessary documents and I’m back to my senses now.

Have I talked about the food??? It almost deserves a second mention.

The weekend was fun for me, Hope urs was too. Gat to get back to work now.

32 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL!!!

Mama Ekene eh...lol!! :D

I am glad you had fun!! The reason the pot bellied one did not eat as much was because they were fronting that they are dieting.... :D

Make I rush out o!!

Joy Akut said...

shame on u...enjoying our laments like that.....
at least u had fun yeah? men, buffets just make u think with ur stomach, u pick everything and anything and end up not eating....
i tagged u.

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

Looks like your weekend was certainly better than mine...I'm glad for you...Take care dear!

Bunmmy said...

nice nice weekend u had, love the hermitage resort and their fish peppersoup is da bomb!

onydchic said...

As per the post title, i can honestly say MY weekend was better than yours! Ha!

But it sounds like you had fun, though. And i'm glad u learned a valuable lesson about life: NEVER eat all the FREE food you can eat. It's almost never worth the toilet time afterwards!

Carlang said...

Lol.
Well...i never really thought you leave us, circumstances despite.
We blog junkies are terrible addicts.

Sounds like you're having a blast.
Take care

darkelcee said...

hmmm so you went to have fun while i was busy missing you?

See your big head

bumight said...

silly boy, u were probably giggling with excitement watching the whole of blogville sob at ur exit ehn?
@carlang: u better have updated cos I see u posting comments around

Ms. Catwalq said...

You would have sold your father's house for the company because of a speech?
Men, I laughed so hard at that one. Yes, we do thank God that you did not have the necessary documents to earn your disownment.

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

Hahaha,big head used up all the oxygen?

I go report you to Mama Ekene, oh! You go see. When she catch you...

Too funny!

flawsandall said...

look at you crying wolf...me sef tink esy you don commot

Big boy with big head...Glad you had fun..

Jayn Sean said...

Wow! That was some real fun you had.
Envy you ooo!

aareago said...

I like your perception. You think you now know how to swim when I actually saw you disturbing the peace of others in the small pool.

I go show your foto... olodo

Anonymous said...

oh look who had a funner weekend than everybody else. boo-friggidy-hoo!

ah well, you'll have good memories to take away with you.. thats always a good thing, no?

Afrobabe said...

LMAO...u certainly had a better weekend than the rest of us jare...can swim in one weekend? no try river oh...

Anonymous said...

With all the contents of ur big head...just can't bliv u got carried away by a mere speech.Anyway still not 2 late to sell the property...but I can bet with my life that U be disowned.

bighead said...

@pamelastitch: dieting 4 where? yu want make i post the pics?

@fantasy queen: pple werent even thinking at all; not with their brains, not with their stomachs...afterall, the stomachs were complaining and we refused to listen

@nyemoni: so, how was yur weekend???

@hopeful b: I had some bony meat peppersoup...infact come to think about it, there was hardly any flesh on most of the meat i ate on the first meal. A lot of skinny animals must've lost their lives last weekend

@onydchic: so here comes the question: wat did yu do last weekend that was so much fun?

@carlang: yu cannot imagine. Its the last day (nite) of work and i'm at my desk by 8:46pm replying comments. *sigh*

@darkelcee: having fun? I wasnt o! (saintly look on my face). I was weeping my eyes out for yu.

Dunzy! said...

Bighead...u've thrown a challenge that i intend to live up to...watch out...lol...it's good to know u're still alive!!

Did you notice the colour of the sea at Hermitage...for me that was the best part when i visited...it's miles different from the colour of bar beach...lol

Flourishing Florida said...

Your blog is better than mine!!!!! Jeez, this small boy, how do you get sure enormous audience? Seriously, i've never had more than 2 comments, & here you are courting 18!!!

Obinwanne said...

definitely better than mine...

UndaCovaSista said...

Lol! so the pot bellied one's eat less? Sounds like a good weekend...

DB said...

glad you enjoyed the weekend, probably one of the last times you'll get to play bota before going back to ur wafi hard knock life. lol

princesa said...

LMAO!
When it came to exercises, you were contemplating leaving but when time for food came, BIG HEAD forgot it was only for one weekend,lol!

Longa!

Femme said...

hey biggie!
your weekend wasnt better than mine.
i'd love to hear ur bosses speech.
nice post as usual.

Thirty + said...

Imagine this big head o, while folks were passing tissue that you are deserting blogville you were eating orisirisi and making "patent scents" from s***

At least someone is having fun.

GERALD said...

what a happy weekend u had!

Jennifer A. said...

Lollll at the smell of ur...eeeeeeuuuuwwwwww!!!

That's what good food does, and too much of it as well...lol

Nice post again!!!

Joy Akut said...

biggieeeeee wai r u?

u left yet?

bighead said...

@bumight: probably

@catwalq: I later found out that speeches like that were guy's trademark; that he once went to MTN to sell them a product, nobody understood wat he was talking about but he got a thunderous applause and the deal he wanted. I'll would have had him talk to my father and stay the disownment

@solomonsydelle: mama eken cant get me now; at least not for the next 9 months

bumight said...

u've been tagged...again! *evil laugh*

bighead said...

@zephi: big man with not-so-big head and plenty of brains

@jaybabe: Twas my time. I believe yu've had a lot more fun urself

@deji: because yu were there ehnn? At least I was IN the pool

@geisha: true I have some really exceptional memories

@afrobabe: Is the english channel a river?

@anonymous: shey? come to think about it...and am a boy sef. Aren't girls supposed to be the ones carried away easily by words???

@dunzy: I dunno about the colour oh! cos it still wasnt as blue as in the foreign movies

@florida: small boy ke??? No be my fault o! I guess I'm highly favoured

bighead said...

@obinwanne: no be my fault...stuff like that happens once in a looong while

@undacovasista: still cant beat time in morocco

@pinocchio's lil sis: play bota??? I'm bota!!!

@princesa: can yu blame me?

@femme: wat did yu do that weekend??? The MD was talking about trust and commitment; how folks who showed/show commitment like him (and a few others he mentioned) earned trust.

@30+: lol @ "...patent scents.."

@gerald: yeah

@jaycee: gee thanks.

@fantasy queen: I'm in a dusty, dry town right in the middle of enugu state and next to nowhere. The name of the town is NSUKKA. I should do a post about it

@bumight: tagged again??? oh no!!! expect my response in 2009