Pages

11/19/2007

Sobs...

As month-end draws close, I become sadder and pre-nostalgic; I’m ending my IT this month. (sobs here). Hold on a minute let me get my hankie. (sniffs).

You won’t understand but these past months have been some of the most eventful for me. I made friends, took risks, engaged in stuff I had never done before, went for months without looking at my school books and its all coming to an end cos my school has resumed.

The first months I spent in Lagos, I spent scouring the streets of VI looking for a place to do my IT. While I wasn’t finding it funny then, I look back on those days and laugh. When I wasn’t getting told off by gatemen at SAPETRO towers or a receptionist at Interswitch, I was working with a cousin on a course for her master’s degree; I had to learn new stuff quickly, it also offered me an opportunity to get to know those my cousins better, offered me relief from the younger nitwits I stay with normally and I got plenty of big crush advice there too. It was then I entered the big crush project which is still ongoing. When an employer finally got to his senses and hired the best thing since guguru & ekpa (me), I joined the flow of things, worked and had fun with the guys there. In between, I visited computer village more times than I can count, got a new computer and phone, visited friends from Ikeja to Ajah and Okokomaiko (that particular trip wasn’t funny o). Saw a movie at a cinema for the first time, got a personal tour of Lagos Business School (Chuks thanks), climbed an escalator for the first time, practised pro-flirting, joined the ushering team at my youth church and helped out at my secondary school fellowship from time to time.

There are definitely a lot of things I’m going to miss:

First and foremost, I’m going to miss blogsville. Don’t start weeping yet; I’m not going away permanently but frequency of reading around and updates will definitely drop cos I’ll have a lot less time and money for internet (free internet go end naa). Moreover, on my browser here, I had a blogroll in my bookmarks so long, it used to take me hours to go through them all; now I’ll be constrained to URLs I can remember and those who have ever dropped comments. You can start weeping now; I already am.

Then I’ll miss my free internet and the privilege of “googling” or “wikipediaring” anything I don’t understand.

I’ll miss all the mama-puts I’ve visited in Lagos island: Madam Benue and her pepper soup that for financial reasons I only got as far as looking at, Mama Bose that I promised myself never to eat at for hygiene reasons and found myself returning to for convenience reasons (abi did she use jazz?) and her husband that looked ready to beat anyone that as much as greeted their not-bad-to-look-at daughter; Mama Ekene and her not-affordable food with great-tasting egusi soup; Iya Koyo which really should be called “iyas” koyo and is a model for the future of inter-company cooperation, it is a dirty, crowded, jointly-owned/managed joint where the heat alone could get yu high, Paul & Paul (Fried Rice & Turkey. Oooh).

I’ll miss the early morning fried yam and evening boli where I was unscrupulously cheated more than a few times.

I’ll miss the odour of Lagos island that manages to stick to the inner walls of your nostrils so you could keep smelling it even in Yaba.

I’ll miss the buses which took the expression “…packed like sardines…” to a whole new level.

I’ll miss the people at my workplace; the dry ones, the ones with attitude problems, the ones who were the cause of attitude problems themselves, the quiet ones, the fine ones (that are too old for me), the ones wey dey form(dem plenty ehnn), the ones wey no send, the rich ones and the not-so-rich ones. I’ll miss them all.

I’ll miss the girl who thought I looked like a teddy bear-she explained that it was a compliment; I don’t believe.

I’ll miss the guy who seemed hostile at first but of recent has been singing a certain Freshly Ground sound that rhymes with my name every time he sees me.

I’ll miss our COO who “takes no prisoners”; he “kills em all”.

I’ll miss the fear of our chairman which seemed to be the beginning of knowledge around here.

I’ll miss sleeping over at the office; the accompanied hustling for the most comfortable chair, the continuous adjustment to the better sleeping position, the technicalities involved with taking a bath, the chatting with my Romanian friend online about boyfriends, family, lingerie and all what not.

I’ll miss my boss’s asking me every other morning how my wife and kids were.

I’ll miss the folks in my office who are always too eager to jump to the conclusion that I now had a girlfriend. I can’t talk with my sister in peace on the phone there.

I’ll miss having to wake up, take a bath and get dressed in 15 mins; I believe I broke some world records here. Where the heck is Guinness book of records?


I’ll miss my barber who was always determined to give me a skin cut even after I must have specified that I didn’t want that. And who would, after barbing, rub the clipper on my chin like there was something (beards) there.

I’ll miss my little cousins who make you dread the time when your own kids would be their age.

I’ll miss NEPA; I’m already missing them, there hasn’t been light for close to 3 weeks now.

I’ll miss Tejuosho market whose traders ensure yu take a bath afterwards, what with all the dragging, pulling, tugging so you can buy stock jeans and bootu cut. One day someone will get slapped in that market.

I’ll miss looking around in public places in the hope that I would bump into big crush by chance. Or, better still, fantasy queen hustling for bread at the palms

I’ll miss hearing all this Yoruba around me that I have been unable to understand despite all my years in lag.

I’ll miss a whole lot of stuff and people… but what must happen must. I look forward to the session being as short as possible. I can only hope that I’ll be missed too.

30 comments:

Unknown said...

poor big head/.... I cry with you...

*sob, *sob*sob....

:(

onydchic said...

AWWW!!!
What a shame!!!! Where are you going back to???
If it's any consolation, you can import your bookmarks and take them with you anywhere you go, u know!
U'll be missed!!!

Joy Akut said...

true confession, u look out for me at the palms yeah?i've stopped struggling for the bread sha...(come to think of it i never said i join the mob)

ok, back to base...no more bighead everyday? i'll miss u *sob* *Sob* *wailing* *rolling on the floor* singing an igbo song of sorrow(choose anyone)

but seriously i'll miss u plenty, take care at school yeah, and make sure u try as often as u can to come in here aight(if u're to broke to browse, halla at me i'll send ur salary aspa my body guard)now dont take that statement literally o...

darkelcee said...

Ohhhhhh!!!!!!! i am crying my heart out. Big head i'm going to miss you so much......You are an aburo i never had( lol)

Why does it have to be like this? how many years you get before graduation?

Oh My big head (wailing with outstretched hands) i am going to missssssssssssss you soooooo much.

please get back here ok?

Your blogville family are wating for you

Have fun in School




still wailing!

bumight said...

you forgot to mention that you'll miss me!!!
we'll miss u too!

Jaja said...

firm upper lip.. what must be done, must be done...

Take care at school... be sure to drop in every now and then... and this your last salary sef.. how we wan' share am..

Chxta said...

:brings out hanky and sniffs:












So long and thanks for all the fish.

Ms. Catwalq said...

*sigh*
I just love your yarns men

Brilliantly Me said...

Aww...we'll miss you too.

Anonymous said...

Heya ull be missed o

But are u leaving the world? Wetin be this?

Try rubbing alcohol heard it brings out the beard

Meanwhile am serious abt the chica o

Leave ur email add except u have a babe

Standing order yea!dont mind me am a bully

Bunmmy said...

awwhhhhh my dear dear Biggie....I'll miss u loads especially your witty comments....take care at school be a good boy and listen to your lecturers ko

Jayn Sean said...

Abeg...where's this bighead going now?

Anyway you'll be missed marr..

Joy Akut said...

HAVE U LEFT ALREADY!!! abi u're sitting back and loving our wails and yarns?or rehearshing being away?
berra organise a send off party for us(abi we're to organise for u?)

Afrobabe said...

best thing since guguru and ekpa keh....

awwww feel like am the one going away...Update as much as you can...you have become a fixture in our lives...

lol@ fantasy queen...must be enjoying the wails...

exschoolnerd said...

Ayah...u will be missed to..u and ur big head..


bwhahahaha..@ 'stock jeans' ad bootu cut...lol....i tot i was the only one angry about that shit...u forgot to add 'aunty use ur church mind buy this thing from me now'...and everyody is fine to those boys...'fine girl! fine boy!


U will be missed BIG HEAD.

flawsandall said...

aww, I just found out about you and your "kinda" leaving....If I may ask were are you going too?
I am glad you had a lot of fun at work...funny and intersting read as usual..

DB said...

'll miss u.
you use to belike my one and only regular and brought me out small.
kit.

DB said...

ps. am still on the down low.
(u grab shey?)

Dunzy! said...

Jeez! bighead, i only just discovered u and u're leaving. OMG, am in tears... well, i saw ur comment on my blog (sorry, i've been extremely inconsistent) and decided to check out ur blog and my is it off the hook!! i thoroughly enjoyed reading ur posts and u had me laughing to myself while i was meant to be earning my pay...anyway i've repented, i'll post more regularly and i so look foward to reading your blog...believe me when i say i totally aggree, u're the best thing since guguru n ekpa...Read hard and Play hard...

Thirty + said...

Will miss you Mr Big Head. O ga o pele, school will soon end and you will be back in full force.

UndaCovaSista said...

Awww. All good things must come to an end, eh?. I'll certainly miss your warm and witty posts, for sure. Do try and stop by as frequently as you can. Take care...

Anonymous said...

talking about browsers, blogrolls and bookmarks have you heard of bloglines.com? i share your pain, pulling away from the internet no be beans

dont worry about the barber and the chin, the beards will...should come. lol.

"i'll miss NEPA", i like that analogy, cool.

i'll miss you too. goodluck.

princesa said...

Bu hu hu hu hu(sobbing)
YOu will be missed sorely dear.
I hope you will be able to drop in once in a while to drop those your witty comments we know you for.
Dont worry there will be more than enough money so you can buy internet time, you hear?
BTw wetin you use all the money wey them pay you for IT do sef? Spent it all on BIG crush??

Take care of urself dude and make us proud with a First class honors degree(that BIG head is not for nothin o!)

bighead said...

@pamela: Take heart my sister. I'm through with crying myself.

@onydchic: How do I do that?

bighead said...

@fantasy queen: What should I be looking out for from now on?

@darkelcee: Its just a couple of months and I'll be blogging even from school.

@bumight: I truly forgot. That's why I avoided mentioning names so I don't leave some out.

@jaja: I have big plans for my last salary. Its not up for discussion

@chxta: fish???

@catwalq: I wish all the girls I met face-to-face felt same. *sigh*

@rayo: thanks. but I'll be back soon.

@jummy: I'm not leaving the world...yet. But this has been my world for months. Nostalgia will be in order. I'm serious about the chica too. My email add is on my profile. about rubbing stuff on the chin, someone used izal in secondary school. The scar must still be there now. I go wait; God's time is best.

@hopeful b: Listen to my lecturers or buy their handouts?

bighead said...

@jaybabe: That is a comforting thot

@fantasy queen: I was kinda enjoying this and I'll be at your house on saturday for the send-forth party.

@exschoolnerd:I remember readin something about that on yur blog. The most annoying part is when some stupid ones, not knowing I'm Igbo say nonsense in Igbo

@zephi: I'm going to some school in the middle of nowhere in eastern Nigeria.

@pinocchio's lil sis: I grab. Explanations will be in order tho'

@dunzy: I'm not leaving per se; I'll just be irregular. We're are trading places.

@30+: Amen O! We bind every spirit of ASUU.

@undacovasista: I would.

@trae: I'm checking out bloglines right now.

@princesa: If i make 1st class will yu offer me a job? I didn't spend all my money on big crush o! I spent it on mama Ekene and madam benue restaurants.

bighead said...

@afrobabe: I defintely will try...

Anonymous said...

i just re-found your blog and you're leaving?
this is to inform you that i can formally be declared heart broken.
no sobs for you - take that!

Albert said...

Largieee is going back 2 schooool...hun?... And I can't see any drop of H20 from none of u guyz eyes....I doubt if you guyz will truly miss him.Anyway sha....they all don talk sey then go miss u,I think U shd take it but I will advise that U shdn't swallow it.

Karry on my guy, the sky....hun?...infact is not the limit..
Take gud kare of ursef and be a gud student.

Flourishing Florida said...

Eh ya. Remains me of my own IT days. Though i ddnt miss them - it was at Aba, (nothing to miss there)& after 6 months, watching other IT folks coming & going, i was anxious to be gone myself. I shall miss u though. Take care.