Pages

10/03/2007

Oshodi and other unrelated things


I didn't take that picture


“…you are a bastard”

“…your papa, your mama be bastard…”

“…I say you are a bastard”

“…all your pikin na born-throwaway…”

Bloggers don’t get scared O! You guys are aight. The above is only a snippet of a driver-passenger(s) “conversation” in the bus (one of the many) I plied on Saturday. The time was sevenish in the evening, the traffic was mad, the driver was rough, folks were jumpy with tempers on the edge.

Aren’t y’all already asking what I was doing in that bus by that time of the night? I was on my way to Oshodi from Mile 2. Ehen? So you’re now asking what I was doing in both Mile 2 and then Oshodi abi? Oshodi was on the way home and mile 2 was on the way from Festac. What? More Questions? What I was doing in Festac? You know what? Lemme start from the beginning.

In my last post, I hinted that I was supposed to hook up with BIG CRUSH a.k.a radar-blip (from now on, I’ll refer to her simply as banc… don’t even bother; you would never figure out how I arrived at that pseudonym…infact, if you do, I’ll send yu credit :-)). Anyways, I called banc during the week and we couldn’t come up with a venue so we decided that I go to her house on Saturday. I’m naturally scared of other peoples’ parents especially those of girls talk less of fineeee girls. Nevertheless, I threw caution to the wind and agreed to meet her there.

Saturday came.

I was washing my clothes that morning when I felt and saw the onset of a drizzle. I whispered a quiet prayer and the day became clear. I felt immediately that God was on my side. Let me let you in on a little secret: I’ve been praying some one-liners about this whole banc thing; that if it is His will, He should make something work out between myself and her.

But not all signs that day were positive. In one of the buses I entered on my way there some guy was preaching. I usually don’t listen to bus preachers (my reasons would be the subject of another post). However this particular preacher’s voice had a way of penetrating through the sounds of Switchfoot my mp3 payer was emitting (I’m loving Oh! Gravity, by the way) and I was hearing parts of his message. Particularly the part where he says: “…and all you girls going to see your boyfriends…” and goes on to tell a gory story about one such girl that was used for rituals along the way. As I hear him, I tell myself, “well, I’m not a girl so the girls here affected can take note”. As if he read my thoughts, he extends the message to boys going to see girlfriends. My response to that one?: by the second dictionary definition of “girlfriend” which I want to believe he meant, banc is not my girlfriend (at least, not yet :-D). At this point I didn’t want to hear more (cos the next thing would have been clarification of the meaning of the word “girlfriend” to include banc) so I plug in my earphones tightly and hear no more.

I found banc’s house with little difficulty and the ball got rolling… At this point let me summarise my visit:

I’m liking banc a lot:

She’s brilliant, fineeeee, friendly, down-to-earth, listens to rock…. Let me stop here incase banc ever gets to read this; we don’t want doctors to be faced with an extreme case of SHS (Swollen Head Syndrome).

Yep, that was the summary of my visit. Let me expand, we gisted plenty, went out to eat (Tantaliser’s jollof rice is …arrrgh… the thot leaves a bad taste in my my mouth. I guess it was just that day’s rice anyway cos I’ve eaten stuff from tanties more than a few times and those weren’t so bad). We also walked around a bit and talked a bit more. I originally planned to spend 2hrs there; arrived by 1:30pm and left by 6:00pm. Do the maths. My pocket isn’t complaining so much either, so everyone went home happy. In summary, I had a swell time and the best thing is that she said she did too; I like to believe that she wasn’t just being polite.

On the journey back, things weren’t so swell as the initial snippet must have indicated. I was passing through notorious bus stops after dark and honestly couldn’t help remembering the preacher from the to-trip. I got home safely though. Thank God. And I’m yet to be convinced that He isn’t on my side. Though certain things banc said tend to indicate that my work might be harder than I initially imagined.

She said that her next relationship should be looking at marriage. I don’t mind that but she also said that the person she would marry is probably already working. Now, that worries me cos I’m still in school and even though I plan to be marriage-ready quickly, things don’t always work as you plan. Also, have I ever said that banc is older than me by exactly 11 months, 5 days??? But age is just a number, isn’t it???

The second thing she said that worries me a bit will not be understood without knowing the kind and nature of advice that I have received. Here’s a sampling of them (Yes, I know I’m a jew-man; I’ll add one to that, I’m nerdy too):


“Don’t start what you can’t finish” (Jide)


"...i think u should go visit her in her house and gist..." (A Kel called wonder)


“Be yourself” (Ayo)


"...there is no rush for anything in life. what is meant to be will be..." (Stuck in her throat)


“You don’t have to spend so much the first time” (Jide)


"...the beach?..well, as long as you have the van danme(did i spell it well) look, an ak45,pocket knife...cos when one of those igbo smoking agboros decide to obtain you of ur 'cab fare'...u go know.
u could buy snacks or chocolates, go to her house, just seat outside in your car...em...sorry...bicycle?..lol.but really, i think most girls are really impressed with conversational skills and realness in a guy, than how deep his pocket is(sometimes)..." (fantasy queen)


“Don’t plan what you are going to talk about” (Ugo)


"...beach ke? she might want to eat fish and chips. thats at least 800bucks?..." (femme)


“Ask her to show you around” (Tony)


“Make your intentions known early so you don’t get stuck as a “good friend” (Jide)


“Long distance relationships can work. Don’t wait till you graduate” (Jide)


Thanks Guys.

With reference to the last one above, she disagrees, “…likes her boyfriends around…”. Maybe, I’m thinking in fast-forward and will soon be tripping on my shoes-laces. I think from now on, I’ll maintain a wait-and-see posture and, as stuck-in-her-throat advised, let what will be, be.

In addition to all the advice I’ve received so far, I’ve learnt a few things on my own too:

The responsibility of keeping a conversation interesting isn’t yours alone; the other party also has a part to play.

Don’t judge your rating in the crush’s eye by the other people around her/him. As I was leaving, Some guys came around in a car (for the peeps who haven’t coded yet, my car was…some months away from reality) I may be wrong, but I think she didn’t mind being with me instead and the guys got impatient and left.

By the time my mind is through with the analysis of that day’s events I’ll have more “lessons”; it’s (my mind) currently facing an overload of information.

In the while, she moved a pawn when she called to thank me for visiting. My bishop now has access to her rook (who plays chess in here?). The next move is mine. I’ll keep y’all informed. Have a great day.


31 comments:

Afrobabe said...

I am first, am first, am first and I actually read first too....let me post b4 being misplaced.

Afrobabe said...

Ok now that I am sure I am first...hehehehehhe...

All in all the date sounds like it turned out fine...

I agree with you....operate a wait and see policy.

Atutupoyoyo said...

Hmmmm….. I am always concerned by a go slow mentality. I agree with Jide when he says that your intentions need to start being made very loud from now. It is a conundrum sha. On the one hand there is the nagging thought that your proclamations will damage what sounds like a very nice friendship. But my man Bighead doesn't just want nice he wants passionate too I'm guessing.

Dude you need to start making them moves o, I have lost many potential wifeys because of GDS (good friend syndrome). How to let her know? Start making moves and gestures that couldn't possibly come from just a regular friend. You also need to be a bit vocal about your intentions. The convo about her potential bobo? I hope you reciprocated by painting a picture of your own future babe -one that looks suscpiciously like her.

Banc?? At first I thought it was an acronym but it is a pseudonym you say. Banc is blanc without the elle? Is she white without being female? Bankole? Too obvious and predominantly male. Banc(k) Is she dooched up? Is her fada Soludo? No? Okay no credit for me then.

Ejura said...

Na wa oh! Somebody has become a prayer warrior. Prophet Elijah would most def like to meet you.

Seems you've started off well with your crush and her calling you to tell you she had a nice time was def a plus. Well done man.

I don't totally agree with atutu about being very loud about your intentions at once. You may end up being so loud, you'd damage her eardrums.
On the other hand you may be too slow, she'd rather be friends with a snail.

You've got to guage the time. Be sensitive enough to know when to come out strong.

Anyhow sha most girls know when a guy has it for them. We have inbuilt radars that tell us these things.

I'd never guess what the banc is. lol at atutu; but I won't mind that credit oh. Picture me as your crush' little sister. Be nice to me and my sis will be all yours.
I use MTN and I hope it is 1500...

princesa said...

lol@ejura! No worry na 100 naira credit Bighead go send!

You came to Festac?? Cool! I stay at Festac too by the way so we fit jam for road when you come visiting again. No worry i wont ask for Tanties jellof rice ,lol!

Date went well sha. I feel the babe on wanting a husband material. OK sorry i dont mean you are not but you never get financial freedom na. I just hope what she feels for you is strong enough to make her wait till when you are ready!

I'll say just enjoy it for now and keep praying dude!

Oshodi by 9pm?!?!U never hear about 'One Chance' people?? Abeg o!

bumight said...

I play chess! and I love seeing a guy in distress about a babe *evil laugh*, but seriously you got it on lock with the conversation skills, and "age is nothing but a number"? dude! I wish you luck though!!!

Unknown said...

lol

so you know i can be razz too - i am going to say this only once, "oshodi, oshodi, a juelegba (hopefully, that is the right spelling?)


LOL!! I am glad you had fun!!

bighead said...

@afrobabe: actually, I read first. and I've read and re-read at least 6 times. anyway, yu win for first to comment. Wait and see??? I've waited 5 days and I'm already tired of waiting for something to happen. I think I'll start working to make them happen.

@atutu: i totally agree with the "conundrum" thing (where's my dictionary?). Its truly a dilemma for me and I'm a little green in these things. I just wish I wasn't doing this "experimentation" on someone I like a lot. I didn't describe my potential babe to her o! Didn't think of that. well, banc is an acronym of sorts but with the letters thrown around. lol @ the other possibilities yu suggested.

@ejura: i try to pray once in while O! especially about things that I can do nada about. So most girls can know ehnn? The prob is how to know when she has known so I can let off the pressure. Funny thing, banc's younger sister uses MTN too. Hmmmm. What's dat ur number?

@princesa: jam for road??? not a bad idea by me. I'll keep my eyes open for you :-). I feel the girl too on the marriage thing. Me kwa, I'm not looking for a fling either. If things work as I plan, she wouldn't have to wait at all. Watch out for bighead; the next big thing in Nigeria

@bumight: let me tell yu the full chess gist: I had a bishop on F3, her rook and pawn on A8 and B7 respectively were still in place and she moved the B7 pawn forward to B6. The only problem with going ahead to capture the A8 rook is the bishop she has on H5 that will now have access to my queen on D1. All this while, her H5 bishop has been protected from my F3 bishop by a knight she had on G7. The game is complicated cos I'm a novice; ELO rating: 1200. You say I "got it on lock with conversational skills". What gives yu that impression?

@pamela: but the fun is in the past. the prob is what to do in the present. by the way, yu said "...razz too..." who else is razz ehnn?

Femme said...

i think your intentions are already clear to her her. sometimes girls like to put up obstacles just to see if you'll jump. if she is important to u , let her know u can.
long distance relationships work too.
meanwhile your blog is becoming an advice hob.
and u really are a nerd.(chess and all)

bighead said...

@femme: What makes yu think the intentions are clear? Abeg, if they are let me know. I hate being under pressure to pass across a message subtly. As for the advice, I need am o. Me is new to this whole thing. By the way, in your opinion, is the nerd thing good or bad? And I really am not that much of a nerd except when I want to act like one

UndaCovaSista said...

She works in a bank? Her name is Banke? That's all i got..

I was going to refer you to the 'MAN' - atutupoyoyo, as i read the post, but i see he's already beat me here. Good luck...

bighead said...

@undacovasista: she doesn't even want to work in a bank and she's not yoruba. are those yur last tries? you still have 3 lifelines.

Ejura said...

Have you watched the movie Hitch? You'd see in it that inspite of all the love doctor's advice, the patient just went ahead and did his own thing and he came out victorious. If she's like most girls she already knows you have something for her. But like they say, the thrill is in the chase. Yes, even for us. Somehow things will just flow.
As for the nerd thing I guess it's ok if you are one but don't exactly look like one.

Joy Akut said...

i've never really grabbed the logics of chess....

all in all u had fun on ur date, good for u...

u should really know where she stands though...i'm one of the 'lets be friends chics' even after having a marvelous time with a guy, waiting might be good, but knowing as soon as you can is even better.

bighead said...

@ejura: I don't look like a nerd but I think I dress like one. I'm working on that.

@fantasy queen: so ovaveshe is wasting his time ehnn? I've been watching his moves. But this is not about you, is it. Back to me: how do I know? I can't exactly ask her, can I???

Femme said...

dear biggy- nerdy can be nice especially since girls now know that nerdy can translate to money.lol
but loose d dressing
it is very attractive to feel wanted, so u might want to concentrate on making her feel like you just have to have her cos some how she'd be making your life better (dont ask me how to do that without coming off like a nutcase)
act (okay maybe not act,)
be very excited to see her, talk to her and touch her.
take care

Unknown said...

BIG HEAD O!! I GREET YOU!! BIG HEAD I AM HERE!!


WELL - THE LIGHT ON MY ADAPTER FOR MY DELL JUST WENT OFF...AND THEN THE COMPUTER DIED...

I THINK THAT I EITHER HAVE TO GET A NEW ADAPTER OR GET A NEW WIRE THAT GOES FROM MY WALL TO ADAPTER...
WHAT DO YOU THINK?

:d

OH YA - I GREET YOU O!! I WILL BE GOING TO DELL OFFICE IN THE NEXT TWO HOURS BUT ANYTHING YOU CAN TELL ME WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...(TRUST ME I DONT WANT TO GO ALL THE WAY TO THE MALL IF I DONT HAVE TO)

Unknown said...

HEHEHEHE I READ THE ARTICLE...
SO YOU BELIEVE WHEN OUR ENDORPHINES AND PHEREMONES TAKE OVER - I WILL FORGET ALL THOSE CHARACTERISTICS AND BE TAKEN ON THE WINGS OF LOVE!!

:D

Stuck in my throat said...

isi okpukpu
crawl before you walk...rush no dey this life o

Unknown said...

TO BE QUITE FRANK I FOUND THE ARTICLE VERY INTERESTING - LOL!!

PERSONALLY, I DON'T THINK ENDORPHINES OR PHEREMONES WILL MAKE ME FORGET CERTAIN THINGS THAT ARE A NO NO - I LISTED THEM ON MY BLOG.

FORGET THE CAPS - I AM WORKING ON SOMETHING SO IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY FOR A WHILE...

ON YOUR GIRL'S ISSUE: I THINK YOU NEED TO BE MORE AGGRESSIVE. DON'T SIT BACK AND JUST WAIT FOR THE STARS TO OPEN AND PUSH HER TO YOU. YOU NEED TO LET HER KNOW. CALL HER UP, FIND OUT HOW SHE IS DOING AND THEN IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT (LOL!!) TAKE HER OUT FOR SOME MORE FUN TIME!!


MY COMPUTER - THERE IS A DELL BRANCH AT THE MALL.

Afolabi said...

big head!!! wussup...yeah sometimes you have cool chicks as good friends and you just want to take it further without breaking the friendship...u just have to say ur mind and hope for the best.

UndaCovaSista said...

Can i just say there's nothing wrong with geek/nerd chic if you execute it correctly. The poster child for male geek chic is Adam Brody (Seth Cohen from the OC) and he looks good

SOLOMONSYDELLE said...

hmmm, love adventures na wa oh. Well, good luck my brother. Cannot wait to read an update....

bumight said...

you are missing the whole point of the game. why are you busy chasing her rook, all you need to do is protect your queen cos it will be helpful in checkmating her king, that is if she has not castled though.lol!

badderchic said...

will be back with an epistle for u o! u big headed boy.

bighead said...

@femme: act excited? I may already be doing so and doing more may blur the line between excitement and obsession.

@stuck in her throat: nwadi, who are yu calling isi okpukpu. Yu will know when I bring yur matter before umu-ada. Its easy for you to say so with some experience and a few years on yur side but my exuberance makes it hard for me to agree much less comply.

@bumight: I play offensive not defensive.

@badderchic: The last time I checked, I was a MAN. Take note.

Jennifer A. said...

lolllll...thats all I have to say!!!!

Joy Akut said...

who's wasting whos time...abeg jo,sort yourselve out and stop imagining things in my end...can u imagine, u're getting all this advice for free and ur mates are there sweating in book stores, reading cosmo, city people, hintsand ahem...mills and boons to get their moves. i know the perfect way to hook that girl once and for all, but u go pay o...

bighead said...

@fantasy queen: I'm imagining things? Believe what yu want but my intuition rarely fails me. It looks like a blogsville joke to yu abi? Accept his "date" first and know if he's joking. Tell me what happens.

As for all the M&B, mags and stuff, there are no hard and fast rules to these things. I'm not worrying myself that much either but I'm enjoying all the advice too; gives me a better idea of my options. Tell me wat yu have and we'll discuss payment methods *wink*

Joy Akut said...

u're a sicko man!...becareful with ur intuition, ur head might just get bigger for nothing. uhm...maybe i'll i'll give u some...(as un advice o)

bighead said...

@undacovasista: Sicko? I don't deserve the title. Save it for folks like Clifford Orji. I'm just a boy...er...man with great intuition. I'm still waiting for the advice.