Pages

8/22/2007

I WANT MY HIGH!!!

The other day, on my way home from work I had my iPod wannabe tightly plugged to my ear to drown out the cacophony that is Lagos… I mean you have car horns (there seem to be new, even more annoying varieties; even the ones that play a tune like a child’s toy or doorbell), then there are the sounds of partying in Lagos Island which I have to pass through everyday; those guys party everyday in some dirty street wearing plenty of glittering uniforms and romping down sumptuous-looking (looking being the operative word) chow amidst a variety of smells (most unpleasant), there are the noisy passengers around me, arguing with the conductor, complaining about something, summary… “Lagos” means noise. BUT I LOVE IT.

This entry is not about Lagos, is it?

Back to the main matter; one of the songs I listened to was Stacie Oricco’s “There’s got to be more to life”. I couldn’t help reflecting on my life… the first line of the chorus goes “there’s got to be more to life than just about every temporary high to satisfy me…”.

I spend 2 months (2 tough, rugged, broke months) looking for a place to do my IT and finally find a very nice place, good pay, friendly colleagues, relaxed dress code, doing something I really enjoy and after barely a month there, the excitement is gone; routine kicks in.

I discover blogging as the next best way to waste time (yahoo messenger, hi5 and, more recently, facebook formerly occupied that exulted position) and with just 9 entries + twice as many unentered skeletons, blogging isn’t so much fun anymore.

I buy a new pair of shoes and after rocking them for a few days, they don’t look so good anymore.

I meet a new gurl who’s one heck of a looker and who could possibly be “the final one”, she gives me face small and I’m no longer interested.

I did a double-flip (actually I'm joking; too fat and old for that) when I saw my first A in university now I'm close to graduating with a 1st class and A's aren't such a big deal anymore.

I once thought I could never get enough of computers and the web, right now, sometimes I’d rather just stay in the toilet.

When MTN started midnight calls, I thought they would block my number for overuse. For where? I only lasted 2 months.

I could go on and on… folks I need a permanent high. Where can I find it?

Drugs? (why are people creating new ones and end users stepping their game up continually?),

Occasions? (don’t even go there, how long can they last?).

Power? (I’m not quite ready to “win with landslide victory” (aka rig) just yet and who doesn’t get impeached, or assassinated, these days). A family friend just got killed the other day, left a young wife and ENOUGH kids.

Clothes? (Didn’t I just talk about my shoes?)

Shopping? (Where the money?)

Sex?(Why haven’t prostitutes gotten an overdose?)

Music?(Heard one, heard all).

TV? (PHCN I use God take beg una o! How person go fit dey high on TV when NEPA abi PHCN no gree)

Books? (Robert Ludlum is dead)

Food? (mama uche’s yam-beans rocks but… please… moreover my current “mama put” has something against me… if you know what I mean)

People where is the permanent high? God???

I think it should be God (at least, I guess that’s what Stacie Oricco was trying to imply) but what about him exactly? Cos the last time I checked we had turned His Word to just another book, His services to routine (and once in a while we call it an occasion), His songs of praise to just another one of the stuff we listen and dance to. These days sef the church is becoming one more social arena.

So what exactly about Him am I supposed to get high on???

17 comments:

DB said...

get high on ME!
yeah right.
no seriously!
ME, ME ,ME!

i 'obviously' do not know what to tell you my friend but drudgery is part of life. that's why people keep inventing new ways of getting high, which like you pointed out doesn't work.
just keep doing what you are doing luckily, you may catch the old flame again, if not move on (are we talking about relationships?)
you know as they say, life is full of up and downs, high and lows, off and ons (NEPA), in and outs, back and forths, round and rounds... the list is endless.
just be consistent and wait out the low periods or periods of disinterest.
did i make sense?

DB said...

oh and good morning.

Bunmmy said...

well just be your self, thats not hard or needs no reinvention. Life comes in seasons,enjoy this season and expect more times of drudgery and excitement.

UndaCovaSista said...

Gosh, that's a tough question. I've been where you are, and in fact, every so often, i find myself back there. I've come to realise its a sad fact of adult life! I've read lots of books on the topic. You know the type - self help books and the one bit of information that i think actually makes sense is try to vary your routine daily. Even something as little as taking a different route to work than the one you'd normally take, trying a dish you've never tried before etc, etc. Doesn't have to be anything major, but it gives you new things to look forward to and i think the brain appreciates this.

Disclaimer. You won't get a mega 'high', but some of that blah-ness you're feeling just might go away........

NikkiSab said...

Ver intresting topic. I like dat song and at the time it came out, i was sure dat my life would be an endless rediscovery of dreams,ideas and a non-stop roller coaster of satisfaction. Yrs after i am watching life become a drag and searching for the funds,people and ideas to make me reach my high. The only High dat has brushed me is my leave being cancelled,a high feeling of hate and disappointment,love and its intricasies - so i figured u can get ur HIGH from not knowing wat tomorrow holds cos its always going to be same old emotions but the frequency is always different.

Porter deHarqourt said...

Good question Big, but come to think of it, wouldn't life get boring if there was just one constant high for each person?

i think the challenge is a never-ending one. the goalposts are constantly being shifted, and that's what makes life such an adventure.

but if you ask my Mum, she'd say God is the ultimate high...

Atutupoyoyo said...

I hear that there is no greater thrill than taking a human life. Although apparently even that gets routine after three or four times.

Seriously though, permanent high? Kids. Good, healthy beautiful offspring. My brother had his first kid five years ago and him leg never touch ground since then. They remind you of the joys of childhood.

bighead said...

@eccentric nana: high on you? I have boundless imagination but its hard to imagine how that would happen. Elaborate please; I'm interested

@hopeful b: thanks 4 the advice. I'm currently doing just that and life's not so bad

@undacovasista: thanks but being spontaneous has its limits; the people around me need a certain degree of predictability

@nikkisab: you sound like a fun-having, money-spending, people-loving person already (at least from your posts) its hard to imagine your life being a drag. Abi is all that a front??? Nice to see someone who knows and enjoys Stacie Oricco. She rocks!

@porter deharquort: i like the shifting-goalposts analogy and i agree with your mum but for God to become someone's high would require a departure from what we have known and accepted as religion. That departure involves a total reorientation of the mind which starts by querying things we formerly accepted without question. I'm working on that.

@atutupoyoyo: killing chicken depresses me; I hope killing humans would produce a different feeling.
as for kids, I LOVE them. Can't wait to get married.

Afrobabe said...

Get high on life,get high on being able to get up each morning or afternoon as the case might be...Get high on being able to love and receive love...get high on having friends and family to turn to...but most of all get high cos the alternative doesn't bare thinking!

Chxta said...

The permanent high doesn't exist.

onydchic said...

face it man, ur screwed.

thanx for droppin by.

bighead said...

Thanks y'all for the comments.

@Chxta: you sure i can't get a permanent high with God???

@onydchic: me, screwed? i really don't think so. at least i don't need so much "alone time"

Femi Adeyemi said...

'err...football....Arsenal if i am biased..lol'

gdluck n sch..

Joy Akut said...

i guess thats what life and dreams are all about...they switch...our wants and our highs...we immediately start dreaming of something else when we find what we've always dreamed of...from the dream car, to the dream job...we just never get satisfied...except on Gods word though...but we r programmed to always want more.

i crush on an absolute cute guy for months, thats my high watching and wanting but always refusing to be discovered or to be bold cos i know as soon as we speak the first words...the high is gone and he's just another guy...or that shoe i pay deposit on for weeks and just keep dreaming about is just another shoe on my rack when i finally bring it home...uh...but i'm a pretty good high for anyone...u wan try, my dose is free oh...it last for almost ever..

bighead said...

@fantasy queen: so how do i get to the "drugstore" for the "free dose"??

Femme said...

go after a new girl every week until ur life becomes a complex web of lies that their cult brothers try to extract you from.
That should be fun.

theres no permanent high.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.