Pages

8/27/2007

This 'Blip' on my Radar

This entry may earn me a “jew man” rating but I must still talk my mind. I’ve been dropping hints over my blog about this new “blip” that showed up on my radar. I met her (Yes, her…don’t tell me, did you really think I had a radar device at home? Of course I was referring to a gurl) at SAT lesson back in 2003. She was doubtless one of the “hottest” (I think its pronounced haaaat-est) there and she was brilliant too. Me, I was fresh out of all-boys school, I really couldn’t care less.

But that was then…

Our ways parted after the lesson which didn’t yield fruit for me; I’m still in Naija (and Naija rocks!!! Bosun, Osita, Emeka take note. I still jealous una small sha.) The yankee thing didn’t work for her (the radar-blip, remember?) either but we went to different schools.

I’m on I.T now and somehow we re-established contact on phone, yahoo IM and facebook. But I want more.

I want to “hook up” again, I don’t think she minds either but thinking about it, I’ve come to realise that “hooking up” and “hanging out” when I’m in school which is in the middle of nowhere and when I’m in Lagos are 2 totally different matters. In school, with 1k in your pocket, you could give a friend a great time and still have change.

Not so in Lagos.

For that to happen here, you and the kain friend must jump molue together, eat minimally at a cheap fast food joint and you must be ready you haggle with expertise and everyone. Pause. Let me define “minimally” here so I can be sure we are on the same page:

Meat Pie + Coke,

Doughnut + Icecream,

Fruit Juice (you will both have to share that),

Your friend could have chicken while you sit and watch Channel O (Under the pretext, "I'm not really hungry, you go ahead and have what you want")

I believe y’all get the idea.

My dad might have gotten away with that when he was dating my mum but these days the standards have been raised. Abi no be so?

With the help of a few advisers, I carefully analysed my options and the cinema made a good case for itself.

But even with that settled, the worrisome issue of transportation pops up (back at school, Okada will always suffice). I don’t have a car, my folks stay in faraway Warri and I don’t have enough “liver” to borrow one so I’m left with the cabbing option. All that settled, I played out the scenario in my mind. Here’s what I came out with:

-I bus to that far end of Lagos where she stays one Saturday morning

-By the time I get there, I'm sweating my butt off

-Apocrine glands are complaining (for those of you who stabbed dem biology classes, those are the guys residing in your armpit and other similar highbrow locations that produce your PIO – Personal Identification Odour)

-They can’t tolerate Nivea’s colonial rule anymore and start to rebel (funny smell)

-We both enter a cab to VI (big money)

-Watch a movie (bigger money)

-I might have to tell her to bring ID card for student price (big mess up)

-I buy snacks (small food)

-We watch a movie and she likes it and doesn’t want to be distracted so we can’t talk (so what was the whole point?)

-After that she enters cab

-And goes home

-I forgot to add... I pay

-If I’m lucky (and my bank account, unlucky) she says she had a good time and that we should do this again next week

-Next 2 weeks, a different big boy comes with tight ride and does same

-And he doesn’t ask her to bring school ID.

How u check am?

A friend suggested the beach. I think that’s cool and all but the cost seems unchanged. This cheapskate big head is almost officially at a loss of ideas. What do you think?

19 comments:

A Kel called Wonder ...... said...

Lol i think u should go visit her in her house and gist or she can come visit u and u guys watch a pirated movie lol lol

Afrobabe said...

LOL...I just love the way you flow...PIO?..They can’t tolerate Nivea’s colonial rule anymore and start to rebel (funny smell)

dead funny...I am with the beach theory,has a way of turning out romantic,cos you are both lying down on them chairs so u'r already relaxed,which makes it easy to talk...buy 2 coconuts...
Now I miss naija terribly,just remembered the roasted fish there at kuramo.

DB said...

no comment!

(hi!)

Thirty + said...

E no eazzy papi, to date a gal this dayz no be small task

Stuck in my throat said...

there is no rush for anything in life. what is meant to be will be. And I will take away your MP3 player.PSHAW(for those who flunked their phonetic class, that is the way to spell a hiss).

UndaCovaSista said...

LMAO @ They can’t tolerate Nivea’s colonial rule anymore and start to rebel (funny smell).

I'm afraid you really need to impress on the first few dates. How much you end up spending is entirely up to you (and your wallet, of course), but in order to be in with a chance, dude, you need to show her a good time she won't forget in a long time. Use your imagination, think outside the box..

bighead said...

@A kel called wonder: I'm not sure if her father has a gun. And if she comes to my uncles house, the gist will reach my village.

@afrobabe: the beach appeals to me to but i'm looking at my pocket and seeing plenty of cab money

@30+: how was it in your days?

@stuck in my throat o: no you can't have my mp3 player and I've been waiting for "what will be" to be. Can't wait any longer. seems i have to make it be.

@undacovasista: i've tot and tot and the better the ideas get, the more expensive they become.

Joy Akut said...

the beach?..well, as long as you have the van danme(did i spell it well) look, an ak45,pocket knife...cos when one of those igbo smoking agboros deciede to obtain you of ur 'cab fair'...u go know.
u could buy snacks or chocolates, go to her house, just seat outside in your car...em...sorry...bicycle?..lol.but really, i think most girls are really impressed with conversational skills and realness in a guy, than how deep his pocket is(sometimes)..good luck sha.

naijacutie said...

lol @ u being broke n wanting to date a girl OON(out of network...goodluck wit dt one

Anonymous said...

"And he doesn’t ask her to bring school ID.


How u check am?"

Loves it... hilarious. If I'm not mistaken, my cousin who went to KC, said Kuramo beach was full of prostitutes??

KEEP BLOGGING! Ciao

bighead said...

@naijacutie: in the words of Aries Spears on Comedy Central "I'm not rich but I'm far from being broke. I'm what you call a thousandnaire"

@anonymous: why do I feel I know you? And how did your KC cousin know? Was he a customer? I've never been there but i imagine that these "ladies of the night" would come out only at night.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think he didn't encourage the "ladies of the night"

bighead said...

"liking to think" isn't enough O! What's his name and set? I happen to know a lot of folks that went to KC, I could easily do some CIA work for you.

Anonymous said...

Details of ones name and set should not be left on a blog. I REALLY do not want to know such information. Just the thought of it... LOL!! He left in 2002 (I think)so you may not know him.

bighead said...

Most of the KC folks I know were in the 2002 set but no problem. I too think that such matters are better left undisturbed

Anonymous said...

Interesting...supply email, delete immediately. No eveidence should be left.LOL!

Femme said...

beach ke?
she might want to eat fish and chips. thats at least 800bucks?
have no ideas my self. hmm! funny.

Anonymous said...

your blog cracks me up cos i can relate to a lot of what you're saying. Big ups (pun intended).

bighead said...

@femme: thanks for the market survey. I'll keep that in mind